Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Action expresses priorities.

First day at a new school, and it's finals week. Why would they have me start in the middle of finals week?

I wander away from the two people trying to comfort me and show me around, walk into an unused section of the student center. There is a big water exhibit interspersed around and between the greek columns within. Swampy with reeds sticking up here and there, the water is divided by narrow stone walkways crisscrossing back and forth across the square pond. I walk to the back desk, but no one is there. I whimsically decide to walk across the pond, clumsily steering myself along one of the stone paths. Up ahead, a crocodile rears his head up from beneath the murky water. I turn around and head back towards the side I entered from, trying not to lose my footing on the slippery stones beneath my feet. There is a moment where I feel myself falling, but somehow I make it. I fling myself away from the pond just in time for the crocodile to spring up, mouth gaping, at the edge of the pond. My feet are just far enough away to escape his jaws as they snap shut, water splashing over the edge and soaking my legs.


No comments:

Post a Comment