Sunday, March 24, 2013

sweet potato bake

I really wish I could find a way to have a very subtle tattoo somewhere on my hands or wrists that would keep reminding me of God. It is so hard to keep him in focus as I go about my daily activities. I think if I were to keep track of everything I think about throughout the day, most of it would be either self-aggrandizing fantasies or paranoid thoughts of all the potential relational or situational outcomes of the future. What a waste of time!

I know that if I could keep my thoughts on Christ this would help immensely in dealing with these significantly large time wasters. Alas, it is not my (human) nature to do that... and really, that is precisely why being a true, passionate Christian is so difficult. Our sin-marred nature works against us at every turn. But what is there in life that could possibly be more joyful than getting to know the source of all joy and goodness? Nothing.

I just got a new computer for work. It is small and sleek and adorable, just the way I have always liked them. Before I would spend hours and hours after getting a new toy just totally absorbed in it. Now....I am grateful for it and I do admire it to an extent, but it has lost its ability to tantalize me to the point of oblivion. I find myself wanting something more meaningful, something richer and fuller than anything like a new toy could provide. No experience here on earth can fully provide what I am after. I am glad too, otherwise I would be stuck craving new toys or new experiences...longing to travel, to taste new things, to try on new things, all the time. I know that I used to feel that way all of the time. But no longer. It is certainly there, sort of in the back of my mind, at times. But ultimately I don't think I could ever really turn back to it now, its so shallow in comparison to what has been presented to me in even the smallest of doses over the last few months.

I am thirsty but all I crave for is living water. LIVING water. Yes, the kind that brings eternal life. Oh, that mysterious term again. I hope to someday be able to grasp its full meaning. Yes, that is part of the longing.... a desire for true meaning, true experience! True love, true joy, peace, and spirit! God, in other words.

How far fetched and otherworldly that sounds when heard from the position of anyone who doesn't desire God.

No comments:

Post a Comment